Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cabbage Kuchen

My brother Kevin has quite a garden this year. I took home half a large cabbage the other day. I had some left-over meat loaf. So, I thought I'd make some Cabbage Kucken. The recipe is from a vegetarian cookbook Laurel's Kitchen by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flanders, and Bronwen Godfrey. I've had this cookbook for years and remembered how I liked this recipe

Cabbage Kuchen:

Topping: 2 onions, 4 cups shredded cabbage, 2 T butter, 1 cup yogurt, 2 eggs beaten, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 1 T caraway seed.

Dough (Kuchen): 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 tsps baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 egg beaten, 1 cup milk, 2 T butter melted.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

To make topping , slice onions thinly and saute with cabbage in butter. Mix in other topping ingredients and set aside.

Stir flour, baking powder and salt lightly with a fork. Combine egg, milk and butter and stir briefly into dry ingredients.

Spread in greased 8 x 8 pan. Spread with topping and bake for 35 minutes.

I varied this recipe slightly. I like to add in other flours so I also used rye and oat flour. I used only 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/4 water in the topping. Next time I'm thinking to adjust the recipe to have less kuchen and use only 1 1/2 cups flour. I made it in a 9 x 6.5 inch glass baking dish. It was surprisingly good just like I remembered.

Tonight, I warmed it up and we had it with pork chops and hashbrowns. I had fried onions with mine. I made a mushroom sauce for Mike.

No comments: